In June 2017, 11 people participated substantially in conversation in the slack.apereo.org #uportal channel.
- Aaron Grant
- Andrew Petro
- Brandon Powell
- Christian Cousquer
- Christian Murphy
- David Sibley
- Drew Wills
- Jim Helwig
- Marissa Warner-Wu
- Matt Clare
- Tim Vertein
Conversation highlights include:
- Aaron Grant’s uportal_commit_stats script and findings about uPortal contributions. gitinspector might also be useful for uPortal-related Git history analysis.
- Internationalization of documentation stored in Git. What Symfony does in its primary and French-translation documentation. (Separate repos.). Alternatively, the jekyll-multiple-languages-plugin . Example ReactJS portlet with i18n support based in i18next.
- Sharing resources from the Open Apereo 2017 conference, including Portal?! uPortal! What is this Béchamel, Speeding up uPortal with ReactJS, two-hard-problems. (Cf. uportal-dev@ thread re conference artifacts.)
- Encouraging interest in the new Accessibility group. (Cf. Accessibility Across Apereo thread on uportal-user@)
- styled-components for styling React.js apps, browser support for Polymer.
- conversational UI example
- Weather API options, including World Weather Online, Weather Underground, weather.gov, DarkSky API.
- The @uPortal Twitter account.
- The role of some CSS classes `
- uPortal 5 fanciness for setting up Tomcat and deployment via Gradle. Renaming the overlays directory (cf. uportal-dev@ thread on overlays directory renaming or another).
- myday cloud-based portal
- sonar, a linting tool for the web
I have concerns about the openness properties of Slack as implemented by Apereo. You can’t access it or read its logs anonymously; it’s not Google search indexed. Only the most recent ten thousand messages are available, so in practice this means logs are unavailable older than about a month back.
Summarizing the conversations in this anonymously, publicly accessible and Google indexable context somewhat mitigates these problems. But not necessarily other problems that make email list communications preferable in open source projects.
Arguably, all of the conversations held in the
#uportal Slack channel this month could have been held via email on
uportal-user@ email lists additionally or instead. Some relevant email list threads are linked above.